There are several advantages that a resolved genome could provide:
- Help study bacterial and fungal pathogenesis and virulence.
- Genome annotation to build a genetic map.
- Reveal various pathways operating in an organism.
- Provide insights in evolutionary mechanism.
- Validate experimental observations.
- Help to understand structural variations and complex rearrangements like insertions, inversion, translocation and copy number variations.
- Characterization of alternative splicing and study gene expression levels.